Having the proper items in your car during the winter can be the difference between life and death during a critical situation. The items listed below can help provide comfort and save your life. Along with the following items, you’ll want to be sure you have a fully charged phone before hitting the road. This can also save your life should an emergency arise.
The Basic Supplies:
These are the essentials. Remember that along with these basic supplies, you’ll need an adequate amount of gas. It’s important to check that your antifreeze is at the proper level as well.
- Blankets – Even having one extra blanket can provide much-needed warmth and protection.
- Extra clothes such as mittens, socks, hats, and jackets
- Flashlight with extra batteries
- Jumper cables
- Bottled water
- A proper first aid kit with all the supplies that come in it. If you use something in your kit, replace it as soon as you get a chance.
- Windshield cleaner
- A simple multi-tool such as a Swiss Army Knife or a Leatherman Tool
- Road flares or warning triangles
If your area experiences extreme winter weather, it’s a good idea to keep these extra supplies on hand as well.
- Non-clumping cat litter for gaining traction in the snow
- A folding shovel
- Sleeping bag
- Small fire extinguisher (Class B or C for your car)
- Tire changing essentials such as a jack and lug wrench
- Paper maps
- Snacks such as canned nuts or granola bars
- Ice scraper
- Tow strap or chain
- Matches or lighter
You can pick from the many options on the market for emergency car kits, or you can take the above listed items and make your own based on your needs. Always remember to check these items and make sure they are still in working order every month. If something needs to be changed out, do so immediately, as you never know when you may need your emergency kit.